Monday 14 November 2011

Emeli Sandé: Out of the Shadows

ON THE ROAD TO MAKING HER DREAMS COME TRUE, MONIQUE TODD SPEAKS TO EMELI SANDE AHEAD OF THE RELEASE OF HER DEBUT ALBUM

Simon Cowell has said Emeli is his "Favourite songwriter at the minute"
She helped put Chipmunk and Wiley in the top 10, she's been praised by Coldplay and Kylie and now she's on the verge of superstardom. But had she finished her degree, the Scottish soul goddess could have easily ended up pursuing an entirely different career.

Emeli, whose debut single soared up the charts, spent three years studying neuroscience at uni before the temptation of music proved too attractive to ignore. "I really enjoyed studying in Glasgow and I thought it was an amazing course but when I saw people who really wanted to be a doctor and put so much work in to their learning, it dawned on me that medicine wasn't what I had dreamt of since I was a kid, so I felt I had to go for music."

So she packed up, ready to head to London, where the urban music scene received her with open arms. "I really love how creative the urban scene is here, and I felt that when I first came down, I was embraced by so many people, you know, a lot of MCs like Chipmunk, Wiley - it felt really exciting, there were no real rules."

"I think I've always done things dependent on how I feel. I don't like following any kind of rules or trends, I just like to express myself."

Take a further look at her CV, however, and you may be surprised to see TV talent show stars like Cher Lloyd, Leona Lewis and Susan Boyle have all been clients to Sande's songwriting talent. "I found it really cool to be honest.I never wrote for someone based on where they come from. I'm up for anyone singing my songs as long as they understand what it's about."

Despite her collaborations, Emeli still questions whether talent shows are a good option for hopeful artists. "I don't really know if talent shows properly prepare artists for the music industry. I feel you can never fully prepare anyone - it must feel so daunting to come out of that show, they have to learn on the job. I'm glad I had more time and experience to get what I needed from the industry."

Industry moguls can't seem to get enough of her. Alicia Keys told her 5 million followers that Emeli is a 'Bad Giiirrrl' and one of her favourite singers. She still hasn't recovered from the shock, "It feels incredible. I remember being obsessed with Alicia Keys since I was 14 or 15 and it's great that someone I've been looking up to for so long appreciate what I do. Opening for her at the Royal Albert Hall in June was a highlight of my career. I thought I was gonna be nervous but I felt quite calm and serene walking on stage."

But it's not just her music that's attracting a wave of attention. Her captivating stage presence, striking bleached mohawk and array of tatoos, including a tribute to her artist hero Frida Kahlo, help too. "I think I've always done things dependent on how I feel. I don't like following any kind of rules or trends, I just like to express myself. So I feel like having bright, blonde hair - why not? You only live once. When I left medical school, I felt a bit rebellious. I kind of felt like I wanna do what I want now."

Emeli's album Our Version of Events is due out January 20th. Sandé doesn't seem at all phased, "I love performing live and enjoy putting on a good show. It'll be the first time that some people have seen me live and I'm just hoping it goes fantastic. Fingers crossed!"

One listen to her voice and it becomes clear that Emeli doesn't really need luck at all.

By Monique Todd

No comments:

Post a Comment